Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer 2013 Anime First Impressions

This anime season has just kicked off with several fairly interesting titles. As always, I will be presenting you with my first impressions on all of the shows I've watched the first episodes of.

Note: I will be using only the Japanese titles from this point onward.

New Series:



Blood Lad

I like this show so far, but I don't really know why. Maybe it's Staz, he's fairly interesting. The comedy in this show is okay, nothing too special though. I like the animation style, though. It kind of reminds me of old anime for some reason.







Brothers Conflict

This show is one of the cases of it's so bad it's good (at least for me that is the case). It's funny as hell how they take the common shoujo tropes and just use them to the maximum degree. I enjoy watching this show, and I enjoy writing about this show (so much so I'm going to attempt to blog it). I'd say my only complaint about it is the squirrel. Shut his ass up already.





Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation

After I watched the first episode, I was left completely and utterly confused. I know everything has something to do with goddesses, but aside from that, I'm clueless. The animation is cute, but I could do without the fanservice.







Danganronpa

Ooh, death! I'm quite a fan of these murder shows, I really am. I love how they take the characters that seem like they'll be hugely involved, and kill them off. There's some serious cynicism in that, and I love it!







Fantasista Doll

This is sort of like I predicted it would be, but it's more of a show for little girls than anything else. I'm not too sure why, but I enjoy watching it a bit. Also, I absolutely adore the character designs for the dolls.







Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya

Illya becomes a magical girl, and that's all I can grasp about it now. They pretty much took Fate characters and put them into a very standard magical girl anime with a bit of a twist. I look forward to seeing what they'll do from now on.







Free!

Pretty boys take off their shirts.....and swim. I actually enjoy this show quite a bit. I've only seen two episodes, but it's a lot of fun to watch. There's also more appearances of the lady characters than I expected (Gou is the best girl). I need not mention the animation is GORGEOUS.






Gatchaman Crowds

I guess this show is this season's acid trip series. I just remember a bunch of colors, a potential orgasm, and some whirly girl turning into a robot. What? I have to admit though, I love these trippy shows. They're so much fun.







Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou

You'd think at first glance that this is a show for little girls. Well, appearances can be deceiving at times, because this show was surprisingly disturbing. In episode one, someone gets possessed and the show goes all horror movie style on you. Complete with static and really, really deep voices saying somewhat evil things. I've taken a bit of a liking to it, hopefully it can keep me interested.





Genshiken Nidaime

It's Genshiken!..... Yet, it feels very wrong...
It's still funny, the characters are still good, and you can even say that the animation is superior to the previous series....but, it feels so wrong. Maybe it's because they re-casted the voice actors, but some of the new ones sound very much like the old ones. I don't dislike this show or anything, but it's just not as the same as the previous Genshiken series....




Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji

I don't exactly like this show, in fact, you can say I dislike it....a lot. There is one amusing thing about this show for me, and that is the character designs. They are some of the ugliest things I've seen in a looonng time in watching anime. I get a kick out of them every time.






Gin no Saji

This show is a bunch of fun. I loved the first episode, it had awesome comedy, and the character interactions were great. Hopefully, this show will continue to tread that path, but I have little to no doubt that it will.







Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun 2nd Season

This series has a good concept, but it lacks good execution. At times it can be interesting, but at other times it can be very boring. Hopefully they'll be able to keep my attention like they were with the doll maker (that guy was genuinely interesting).






High School DxD New

Uncensored fanservice!! It'd be even better if Kiba wasn't suddenly turning super serious and kind of emo. But still, I'll appreciate this show for what it is, and not try to get into any of the drama. Because, in the end, show's that shove boobs in your face can't really do very good drama.






Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou

This how is pretty good and all, but the second I saw the girl blushing in the presence of her DOG (who was once human, but shit, now he's a dog). I started questioning this show's...morals? Sense of shame, maybe? Okay, I'll just ask the question bluntly: Is this beastiality. Oh I hope it's not...I REALLY hope it's not.






Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen

Though the first episode was more of an introduction/summary, I'm looking forward to seeing my favorite character of the series, Yui, more often. Though, they probably should have just made an OVA or something covering Yui and Tsukiyo's arcs like they did with Tenri's.






Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi

This is one of those shows that I can already tell I'll like. After the very first episode I wanted more, at that instant. There aren't very many series that give me such a feeling, but this is one of those shows. I also love the artwork, it's colorful and pretty.








Kimi no Iru Machi

I was really excited for this show, but damn was I disappointed with the first episode. The execution of this series is so awkward. The animation looks pretty bad, the voices don't seem to fit right with the characters, and they definitely need to use more background music. I really hope it'll improve.






Kiniro Mosaic

This show is very, very cute. Still, nothing really happens. It's still enjoyable to watch though. My only other complaint about this series is the overuse of Engrish. It's so bad, but they're trying.








Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku

Cute girls do cute things and try to be funny, but fail miserably. There are several problems with this show: one, it's not funny. Two, the characters are as bland and overused as they can possibly be. Three, the voice acting is AWFUL. It's been awhile since I've heard such dreadful voice acting. One character's voice in particular, Sakura's, is really bad. You can hear her voice cracking, and it doesn't fit with the character either. It's cool to use new voice actors in a series, but you have to ensure that they're at least decent at the job first!




Love Lab

I thought this was a show about lesbians. Guess I was wrong...? Leaving the contemplation of shoujo ai aside, this series succeeds at its attempts at comedy. It doesn't try too hard, but it tries. They execute things well, and the characters have great chemistry.








Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist

Would you look at that, this show is actually interesting! I'm happy they actually executed the concept very well, and that this isn't another Hakkenden. Though, I'm a bit perturbed by the fact that a dude was wearing high heels.









Monogatari Series: Second Season

Most aspects of this series are great, but damn, the pacing is slow as hell. Also, the semi-intellectual fanservice is very odd. It's like sexy but with big words and lots of contemplating. It's still interesting, and it seems like this season will be more like the first Monogatari series.








Recorder to Randoseru Mi☆

Same old, same old, just with slightly worse quality animation. I can't say I'm disappointed or anything, though. I wasn't really expecting much from this sequel in the first place.









Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS

Lolis playing basketball against even younger lolis. At least, that's what I think it'll be like from what I've seen so far. I just hope they don't get out of hand with the fanservice, because I start feeling very disgusting seeing suggestive little girls. In that aspect, the OVA was awful. Hopefully, since this is the TV series, there won't be much of that happening.






Rozen Maiden: Zur├╝ckspulen

It seems like this Rozen Maiden series is about an alternate universe where Jun didn't wind the doll. There's also the possibility of intertwining universes it looks like. It's pretty interesting so far, but I don't really like it as much as the first series. On a positive note, the animation is very nice.







Senki Zesshou Symphogear G

It's more of Symphogear being completely and utterly ridiculous. This time, we have evil idols who want to take over the world because their lives are shitty. Cry me a river, why don't you.








Servant x Service

A comedy about grown people at the workplace. I enjoyed the episodes I've seen, and I'm already shipping two of the main characters. I also just love how the comedy is executed. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of this series.







Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu

Girls shoot toy guns at each other. Friendship. That's pretty much it about this series. Nothing is really notable, it looks average, the characters are okay, and the writing is...meh. No problems with this show, but it's nothing really notable either.







Uchouten Kazoku

A family of Tanuki live their lives and try not to get eaten by the "Friday Boys" (I think that's what they're called). I like the characters, they seem interesting. However, this is another show that's a bit difficult to follow at times.







Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

This girl is so socially challenged it's ridiculous. Her failed attempts at socializing are hilarious, yet very sad at the same time. I want to root for this girl, I really hope she'll be able to make friends.









Ongoing Series from Previous Seasons:



Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince

The crew on the ship decided the best candidate for the new super-crazy-powerful mecha was a bipolar hermaphrodite. What? As I had mentioned in a previous post, this show is up and down for me. It's got some good elements, and some really, really bad elements. In the end, it's a below-average show....with an awesome soundtrack.





Mushibugyou

First they fought giant bugs...now, they fight bug men! DUN DUN DUNNNN! This show is an extremely typical shounen series, but it's quite enjoyable. I think I've said that enough times. The Insect Magistrate is also quite adorable.







Shingeki no Kyojin

I've said it over and over and over. This is one of the best anime of the year, perhaps even all time. The new opening and ending themes are very much impressive (though I prefer the first OP to the new one). Also, finally having Levi making more appearances is definitely a welcome change.






Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S

I'm liking this season of Railgun. It's more action and less..whatever the hell was going on in the first season. I wish miss Mental-Out appeared more often, she appears in the official art, but the most I've seen of her was in the first episode.







Uchuu Kyoudai

So Mutta's training to fly a jet! I didn't know astronauts need to know how to do that. So far, I've been enjoying this series, but throughout the course of the last two seasons I've been wondering: how far this anime will go until it ends?







So those are my first impressions for this season's anime. Hopefully this'll be a better season than the last one. I look forward to blogging about Brothers Conflict and Free!(though I'm not sure if I'll be able to do both once school starts). Stay tuned for those posts!

1 comment:

  1. The first impression of this post was really nice i like that.all the animated photos was really nice thanks to share.

    animation

    ReplyDelete