Saturday, July 6, 2013

Final Thoughts on the Spring 2013 Anime

So, the spring anime season has concluded. As always, I shall be bringing you my final opinions on all of the shows I finished watching, as well as the ones that have more in store for us.

Ongoing Anime:


Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince

I have numerous mixed feelings about this series. The characters are crap, the character designs look horrible, and it fails at being funny. HOWEVER, everything other than the characters look good, and it has a pretty good soundtrack and premise. It's below-average, but has the potential to be so much better.







Mushibugyou

Most refer to this series as a very typical shounen series....and that's exactly what it is. Though, I actually enjoy very typical shounen series. The only issue I have with this show is cowtits Oharu, whose only purpose in the show is fanservice. Everyone else is fine though.






Shingeki no Kyojin

This show is producing the most hype out of any of this year. Yes, this year. It's not hard to see why though, it's a pretty hard-hitting series with tons of drama and a LOT of gore. Plus, there's Mikasa who's just the most badass lady I've seen all year. I can't wait to see Levi more as well.







Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S

So it looks like Touma's going to play a bigger role in the second half of the series. That's cool, but I'm more interested in the ITEM girls, particularly Frenda and Rikou. I'm liking this series more because I don't see too much Kuroko as well.







Uchuu Kyoudai

The series is getting more dramatic thanks to the whole situation with Sharon. Hopefully, things will take a good turn, but if they do the opposite, I guess that would be interesting. I'm also glad Hibito's back now.








Completed Anime:



Aiura

I liked this series, it was a very nice slice of life show to watch. Not to mention the visuals were very nice to look at. My only complaint about it is that it was too short. Only 4 minutes per episode, and about one and a half minutes of it was the opening and ending themes.






Aku no Hana

This was probably the biggest disappointment for me this season. Not only because of the animation, but there were episodes that had big chunks of pointless things in them. For example, half of one episode we were treated to walking. No words were spoken...just walking. Some say that this was some sort of artistic symbolism or something like that, but I'm sorry, I could care less. This show was either boring or just...odd the entire time.





Arata Kangatari

I enjoyed this show very much. It had good action, great animation, and a very interesting story. The only problem I had was that the protagonist was a complete and utter pansy for a vast majority of the series. Toward the end he got better, but he was really annoying for a long while.








Chihayafuru 2

This was a pretty good sequel to the original series. Though I can definitely say that this season had far more karuta playing than the first one did. Still, the characters still had nice developments, as they did in the first season. And, of course, the animation was gorgeous as it was is in the last season.







Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge

I wasn't expecting much out of this series, but it ended up surprising me. I mean, I haven't seen an anime that made me cringe as much as this one did. Gore is one thing, but the stuff that went down in this series was just plain unsettling. This show was extremely disturbing. So, I guess it accomplished its goal. And yes, I did enjoy it.







Date A Live

Despite being one of the most bipolar shows I've seen, Date A Live was pretty decent. I mean damn, this show would go from serious to silly in a matter of seconds! But, despite all that, it had an interesting battle scenes and romance. I also absolutely loved the character designs.








Devil Survivor 2 The Animation

There were quite a few mixed opinions on this series. I was one of those that actually enjoyed it. I mean yeah, they could have done it better, but it was still pretty good in my opinion. I did have issues with the last episode though.









Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W

Another good season of Nyaruko. I was kind of hoping for another scene like they had on the last episode of the first season, but alas, my wish did not come true. Still, this season was just as funny as the last one.








Hataraku Maou-sama!

Overall, this was my favorite series of the season. I haven't seen a comedy that has made me laugh as hard as this one in ages. I also love how the characters adjust to Japanese lifestyle, and the interactions between them were fantastic. I could go on and on about how awesome this series was, but it'd be better if you guys just watched it. Also, this most definitely needs a season 2.






Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties

Another meh Hayate season provided by Manglobe. I'm not fond of the way they animated the series, and it also lacked quite a bit in the comedy (just like the other Hayate anime by Manglobe). Still, there were a few occasions where I laughed.








Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

A great romantic comedy, with lots of wacky developments and plot twists. This series was fun to watch, it would be funny, then weird, then weirdly funny, it was crazy. Also, the characters were all lovable and entertaining, and the animation was very nice to look at.







Hetalia: The Beautiful World

More Hetalia is always a good thing. As always, I enjoyed some educational humor, with shinier animation!(that's a plus!) My only complaint was that there weren't enough episodes to satisfy me. Another season please.








Kakumeiki Valvrave

I'm among the group of people that are convinced Valvrave is a parody series. Shows just can't pull every mecha anime cliché and such a stupidly hilarious fashion without being a parody. Oh, and I love the ridiculous cliff-hanger.








Karneval (TV)

I fairly enjoyed this series, mainly because it had such bright and colorful art. The battles were also quite entertaining to watch. But, there were negative aspects to this series. Some of the characters acted too girly, and some of them were just plain annoying. The worst of all, for me anyway, was Nai. I had constant urges to punch the screen when he talked, or did anything at all.  I actually preferred the ladies of this series because they (as a whole) didn't annoy me as much as the guys in this show did.



Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku

It was a pretty decent short series. Though, if I were Hikage I wouldn't tolerate such an annoying, irresponsible, pain in the ass sister like Hinata. I would slap her, many times. Aside from that, Hikage was fairly interesting, nice and responsible. Also, I rather enjoyed the ending theme.






Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san

I wasn't expecting this show to be good, but it turned out to be a pretty decent short series. I mainly liked it because it was a bit educational at times, and the theme song was also quite catchy.









Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.

An enjoyable sequel, mostly because of the romance factor. Though, I noticed something, just about all the parts of the series I enjoyed were inevitably ruined because of Kirino. I now despise Kirino, but, I love everyone else more for being better people than her (including her friends, whom I hated previously)!







Photokano

At first this show was decent but after awhile it just got stupid. Yeah, it's a show about taking photos....of girls..some of which were of their asses and cleavage. Psh, photography....give me a break. And the entire second half of the series consisted of the girl's "arcs" (each was one episode), and the only ones who got kissed in their arc were the ones that annoyed the crap out of me.





RDG: Red Data Girl

 Despite my not knowing what was going on several times, this show was pretty good. I especially liked the setting of a school full of kids with spiritual powers that was "normal" on the surface. Though, I would've liked it more if the romance wasn't so inconsistent.








Suisei no Gargantia

This series was especially good, but then again pretty much everything by Urobuchi Gen is good. Most of the series is spent with the main character adjusting to a new culture, but later in the series it became much..darker... I'm not going to spoil how, but all I'm gonna say is that if you haven't watched this series, check it out. It was one of the best this season.





Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000%

This show is so stupid it's hilarious. And the sequel actually turned out worse than the original! Wasn't expecting that...okay maybe I was. I also really couldn't get into the music, I think there was one that I actually liked out of all the songs in this series. But, considering the amount of songs, that's not too good.






Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru

This show was surprisingly good. Not because of the making fun of classic romantic comedy  clichés, but mostly because of how the main characters, aside from Yui, were not very nice and peppy. It was quite refreshing.







Yuyushiki

It tried to be funny, but it failed. I think throughout watching the entire series I only honestly laughed once or twice. It was pretty much two girls flirting with their friend. There really wasn't much else to it.







Zettai Bouei Leviathan


This show was like turning a crappy RPG into an anime. It makes you feel like you're on one big side-quest instead of a main story. It was really boring, but at least the character designs were cute.








This spring season was mediocre. There were masterpieces in the mix, yes. But there was also so many others that were just plain bad. Who knows what the next season will have in store for us...hopefully it'll be a better season.

No comments:

Post a Comment