Friday, June 21, 2013

Genshiken Review

Genshiken 


As I've been doing for awhile now, I've been marathoning series that have sequels airing in the summer season. This series was something I wanted to watch in the first place, since it seemed like something I would enjoy. Did I like it? Read on to find out!

Synopsis


Sasahara Kanji is a college freshman who decides to join a student society to share his hidden thoughts on manga, anime and gaming.

When he first visited Genshiken, short for "Gendai Shikaku Bunka Kenkyuu Kai" (Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture), his groundless pride was destroyed by the plotting of Madarame, a sophomore student in Genshiken, but he still couldn't admit that he is an otaku.

However, as he participates in society activities such as visiting dojin (private publishing) shops and anime festivals, and hangs out with other society members Kosaka (a hardcore otaku despite his extreme eccentricities and good looks), Kosaka's girlfriend Kasuga Saki (who isn't really an otaku), Ohno (a cosplayer) and the others, he opens his mind and resolves that he will make his way into the otaku world. With their help, Sasahara slowly adjusts to otaku life in Genshiken.


The Visuals


The visuals for this series changed in every season. In each season, they're pretty good, but I think they were best in the first season. The style isn't too cartoony with some characters, but with other characters it's a bit more cartoony. Personally, I found characters much more interesting when they looked a little silly.








The Soundtrack


The soundtrack was good. It's okay to listen to, but it's not really something I would listen to on a regular basis. The opening theme in the first season was fun, but I pretty much ignored the others. I didn't really have any fondness nor qualms with the ending themes.




The Characters


Genshiken's cast has to be one of the best casts of characters I've seen in awhile. I love the cast of characters because, like them or not, the characters in this series seemed like both real people and kind of like certain stereotypical anime characters at the same time. Not many series I've seen have managed to accomplish that. 








Favorite Characters


Harunobu Madarame

Madarame's eccentricity is both hilarious and lovable. He's the character that stood out the most to me because he made me laugh the most, and he's one of those characters that you wish was real and could be your friend. At least, to me, that's the case.





First President

I liked him because he seemed like a ghost or an alien almost every time he appeared. He's also quite mysterious, you never really know his name, and who knows how old he is.





Least Favorite Character


Saki Kasukabe

I don't necessarily dislike Saki, but there are times where she just pisses me off. I mean, all she does is complain and make fun of most of the members. Towards the end this is less of a problem, but she was still like that for a majority of the series.








The Story


It follows people joining Genshiken, which is a college anime/manga/video game club, and lets you watch the characters grow, as well as their relationships. It's a pretty simple concept, but it was done in an excellent fashion. The characters are lovable, and their development is superb. I also like how this show doesn't completely forget about its characters as well.








Overall


Genshiken was a great deal of fun to watch. It was funny, but it had its moments where they were serious. So, I think it's needless to say that I loved this series, and I most definitely do recommend it.

Story - 9/10
Characters - 10/10
Music - 7/10
Voice Acting - 8/10
Visuals - 8/10

Overall - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment