Thursday, June 13, 2013

Bokura ga Ita Review

Bokura ga Ita


What I expected when I first started watching this anime was a sweet, innocent, typical shoujo romance series. Well, that's not exactly what I got.  Instead of a wishy-washy romance series I was treated to a soap opera worthy drama fest. Does that mean it's bad? No, not necessarily.

Synopsis


Nanami Takahashi welcomes the start of her high school life with great expectations of making as many friends as possible. There is much talk among the girls about a popular boy, Motoharu Yano, who has 2/3 of the girls in his middle school liking him. When Nanami asks Yuri Yamamoto, the girl sitting next to her, about Yano, the latter curtly replies that she dislikes him. Nanami is clueless of who Yano is until the day of the class nomination when she made a fool of herself by calling the name of her new friend wrongly. It turns out that she has actually met Yano along the corridors (unaware of his true identity) and he tricked her by providing a random name, resulting in the embarrassing incident in class. Nanami was initially mad at Yano but after a few encounters with him, she begins to find herself liking him.


The Visuals


The visuals in this series were...decent. I mean, they were cute, but at times the characters' ears reminded me of monkeys and sometimes people's eyes would just not be there. That doesn't happen every once in awhile but multiple times in  EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE. But, the backgrounds were nice throughout.









The Soundtrack


This series has a good soundtrack. The background songs were all nice, but while watching the show, none of them really stood out. The opening theme was also somewhat obnoxious. However, the multitude of ending themes wasn't so bad though. One in particular, Merry Go Round, was really good.




The Characters


This show has a decent cast. You have your mediocre characters, the annoyance, a creeper, a few good, and a few great. I was kind of iffy about the heroine. This was another one of those shows I've seen, kind of like Itazura na Kiss, where I question why the heroine even likes the guy. She's miserable! But at times, she's funny and cute, so I never really knew whether I liked her or not. 







Favorite Characters


Masafumi Takeuchi *SPOILERS*

I have a thing for really nice guys. Takeuchi is indeed a really nice guy, almost too nice, in fact. As Yano's best friend he acts as his pillar of support for most of the series. Then we get into whole liking his friend's girlfriend issue, and the way he handles it is like my family handles food: sure, you can take it now, but that won't stop me from trying to get it later. That's not a very good way to handle things, but that is WAY nicer than the way some other people may handle it. That's why I like him.


Ayaka Takeuchi

Ayaka is the supportive older sister character, and a peculiar one at that. Though she is supportive of Yano and Nana, she's even more supportive of her brother (for obvious reasons). She even tricks someone to help her brother out. Though, there's also a very nice atmosphere about here, can't really describe it.









Least Favorite Characters


Yuri Yamamoto

I pitied her at first, but there came a point where she just pissed me off with her creepiness. I mean, damn, she's a total creeper. Things would be happening and she would just be there. I wouldn't call her a stalker, but I'd definitely call her obsessive, and a creeper.





Motoharu Yano

There are cases in shoujo anime and manga where I just don't get what is so appealing about the main love interest. This guy is a giant child, maybe even worse than a child! He constantly contradicts himself, he gets jealous super easily, and he's just ridiculously selfish for a majority of the series.  








The Story


A girl hates a guy, then falls in love with him after some time, eventually they go out, and then all hell breaks loose. Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up. There's so much drama in this show, and I'm not going to tell you why, watch it yourself to find out. Though, I will tell you that this show can be moving at times. It definitely triggered emotion from me, though most of it was anger or frustration. There are times when this show is cute, sweet, and even funny. And all of it comes together in a pretty good manner. 






Overall


This was a good series, probably amongst the better shoujo series I've seen. I would recommend it if you're into shows with lots of drama, if not, you should probably steer clear of it.


Story - 8/10
Characters - 7/10
Music - 7/10
Voice Acting - 6/10
Visuals - 6/10

Overall - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment