Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Spring 2013 Anime First Impressions


So, we're about 1-4  episodes in with most new series this season, and despite my laziness, I kept up with a vast majority of the series that premiered this season. This season has a few really bad series, several mediocre series, a couple of decent and good series, some great series, and a handful of gems. Now, let's get to the individual series...

New Series:



Aiura

It's a short series with really nice animation about the daily lives of these three girls. Nothing really happens, but nothing really can happen since the episodes have only 2 minutes of actual content, the other two minutes are taken over by the opening (what's with Steve Jobs and the crabs, can someone explain this to me?) and ending themes. 





Aku no Hana

Wow...just...wow.. I really didn't think Zexcs would be able to screw something up when it has such an amazing source material. It actually follows the story really well, but there is one, fatal problem with it: the animation. They tried to make it look realistic, which it kind of does, but it turns out to be really stiff and awkward, not to mention a vast majority of the characters look really ugly. Some people are okay with this issue, but I just can't stand looking at it. If you're interested in the story but couldn't handle the ugly ass animation, read the manga, because both the story and the art are good there.


Arata Kangatari

This series is just as epic as I thought it would be. I do have a few issues with one of the characters, that character being Kadowaki. "I won't acknowledge you," yeah that's all well and good, son, but why do you have to bully the main character? Other than that, the series is very much engrossing with the action and the setting, also all of the characters, apart from Kadowaki, are pretty interesting.





Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge

This series is surprisingly really good. It has a nice balance of comedy and drama, and the whole "Hair Queen" thing wasn't nearly as ridiculous as I thought it would be. I also like that this is a bit of a dark series, despite the concept being kind of silly. It's definitely a recommended watch this season. 






Date A Live

Yeah..this show is weird. These girls go from having a tragic atmosphere to giddy possessive "normal" girls when they're asked on a date. Still, it's fairly interesting, and I have to admit, the character designs for the girls are really cool.







Devil Survivor 2 The Animation

This show is awesome! It's based on a game by the same people who brought us the Persona series, and I really have to say, this is another great anime adaptation for one of their games. It's definitely a must watch. 







Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince

I thought this show was going to be stupid from the moment I read the synopsis. And guess what? It's ridiculous, tries to be funny but isn't, has butt-ugly animation, and the characters are bland as hell. And this show's gonna last two seasons, TWO. I'm not sure if I could put up with this show for that long, but I'll try... 






Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W

More of Nyaruko's usual silliness. I like this show, because it's so ridiculous and it plays on the clich√©s that plague many anime series. Also, the characters are funny and the story is completely unpredictable. 







Hataraku Maou-sama!

There hasn't been a comedy this good in a long time. I mean, there are series that get you to chuckle, or occasionally get into a fit of laughter, but this series is absolutely hilarious a vast majority of the time. It does have a bit of drama, which I'm not too fond of, but the comedy of this series is just so great that it completely cancels out the faults. And the characters are also hilarious, and they play their roles from the previous world in an odd, and funny way. I wish I could say more, but to understand how good this series is, you need to actually watch it.



Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties

Yeah, this is another mediocre Hayate series brought to us by Manglobe. Honestly, every time I watch this show, I get bored. It rarely makes me chuckle, unlike the other Hayate series that would get me to laugh pretty often. But, whatever, maybe, just maybe, it can get better.






Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.

It's a pretty good romantic comedy, with a bit of a twist. The characters are entertaining and the animation is really well done and adorable. I do have some issues with the combination of voice actors used in this series for the main cast, Yuki Kaiji, Yui Ogura, and Kaori Ishihara. They're all voice actors I have mixed feelings for, and having them all work in one work, and as the main cast, is a bit too much. But, I'm sure I'll get used to them in time, because this is a pretty good series.



Kakumeiki Valvrave

A lot of mixed opinions for this show, but I for one like it. Mechas, vampires, and a love triangle make for a pretty unique combination. Yes, it gets pretty ridiculous at times, but you can't deny that it's entertaining. Be willing to give it a chance, but it's understandable if you don't like it.






Karneval (TV)

It's colorful, fun, and the characters are all interesting. I did make a mistake, thinking this was a Josei series, it's actually a shoujo. Still, it's pretty good for a shoujo action series, in fact, it's pretty good in general. I do have issues with the subtle boys love elements. Also, notice all of the females, apart from Tsukumo, have some...er..."unappealing" personalities? Well, some may say that, but I like Iva. Anyway, this is a pretty good series, and I do recommend it.




Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku

This series isn't bad or anything but it's not necessarily good either. I wasn't really expecting much in the first place, but still, it could have been done better. Overall, it's pretty mediocre comedy series







Mushibugyou

A group that consists of samurais, a ninja, and a monk...thing..kill giant bugs in Edo-era Tokyo. I like this series, some find it unappealing because it's a typical shounen series, well, I like it because it's a typical shounen series. The chick with the cow-tits annoys me a little though.






Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san

A mermaid named Muromi annoys a dude who's fishing at the pier frequently, and associates with her friends. I get a chuckle out of it every now and then, but Muromi is a bit annoying.







Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. 

Kirino is more annoying than ever this season and I still despise Ayase, but, that's okay, because all of the other characters are really cool, especially Manami, Kuroneko, and Saori. As long as this series doesn't focus on Kirino being a bitch too much, it could be just as good as the first.






Photokano

A harem series with photography. It's not really bad, in fact, it's a pretty decent series, but the main love interest is a mary-sue and the photography element is most definitely overshadowed by the harem element. It's a decent series, but you won't be missing out on much if you don't watch it.






RDG: Red Data Girl

I like this series, it has nice animation, and some supernatural/fantasy elements to it. I do have some problems with the story being a little bit difficult to understand at times. They just throw these things in your face and expect you to figure them out yourself, and after awhile I did. It's enjoyable, and I do like it, but I'm not sure if I would recommend it.





Shingeki no Kyojin

This series is amazing. It's very depressing at times, but the amazing animation, the action, the characters (mainly Mikasa), everything about this show is amazing. It's no doubt that this is one of the year's best anime, and, well, if you haven't seen it, drop what you're doing and watch it. Right now.






Suisei no Gargantia

This is my favorite show of the season. It's well balanced with comedy, action, and drama. It shows the different cultures of the earthlings and the Galactic Alliance. The main characters are also amazing, Chamber is hilarious, Led is cool, and Amy is adorable. The animation is also spectacular, it's like watching a movie, it's incredibly beautiful. I can't wait for a new episode every week. Just like with Shingeki no Kyojin it's no doubt that it's one of the year's best anime. Definitely a must watch.



Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S

I have to admit, I like the Railgun series. I hate Kuroko, but, luckily I haven't seen too much of her annoying side, though it does appear every now and again. So far, it's been pretty interesting, we've been introduced to some new characters, one of which we still don't know too much about yet, and we're seeing the Sisters Arc play out from Misaka's perspective. Definitely a must watch if you've seen the first season.




Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000%

Yeah, it's bad. Maybe even worse than the first season. Mostly because of these guys seeming so bland...except for Cecil, but he's even worse. At the beginning he's all over Mary-Sue, but then oops, idols can't love, whine. Don't watch it, it sucks.






Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.

It's a pretty typical romantic comedy, and it jokes about romantic comedies and such, meh. But it's still, it's pretty decent, and I kind of like the fact that the main character only shows interest in one character that isn't even part of the club.







Yuyushiki

Meh. Cute girls do cute things (in a data processing club, what?), that's nice, but nothing really happens in this show, except for some potential lesbian love triangle thing. They don't really do anything funny, but sometimes the stuff they talk about is interesting.






Zettai Bouei Leviathan

More cute girls doing cute things, except this time, they're dragons (and a fairy). It's cute sometimes, and there are hints that something dark is going to happen, but I'm not very sure if it will. But, I have to admit, this series has a damn good opening theme.







Ongoing Series from Previous Seasons:



Chihayafuru 2

I like this series a lot, but it seems like the string of Karuta matches is endless. However, they somehow manage to be consistently entertaining. I also like the individual characters, except for Sumire because sometimes she is shallow as hell. Still, I really enjoy this series, and I'm hoping to see the relationships between the characters develop more.





Hetalia: The Beautiful World

I love Hetalia. It entertains me and teaches me history at the same time. It continues do so each episode. I was also ecstatic to see Taiwan make an appearance, and I hope she makes more (she's so pretty~).







Uchuu Kyoudai

The astronaut training continues, and Mutta continues to be the most entertaining character in the show. There are times when the other characters annoy me, but other than that, this show is consistently good.









This season has a little bit of everything, so I'd say the season looks pretty decent overall, and I'll probably watch most of these series to the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment