Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lucky☆Star Review

Lucky☆Star


This is another highly popularized anime, and I have to admit that I've attempted to start this series two or three times before and got bored both times half-way through the first episode. BUT, I felt obligated to watch this series all the way through as an anime view and anime reviewer. My final thoughts differed from my previous first impressions, and my final thoughts? Well, read on to find out!

Synopsis

Portrays the lives of several school girls attending a Japanese high school with a very loose humor tone. The main heroine is Konata Izumi, an athletic and intelligent girl who, despite these attributes, is not in a sports club, and her grades remain low. Her laziness at school is due to her love for anime and video games, and she is not interested in much else.



The Visuals


The animation in this series is more simple compared to the animation in other KyoAni series, but it's still really good. It's really cutesy, with those giant eyes and disappearing and reappearing noses, it's also extremely colorful giving off a very cheerful atmosphere.









The Soundtrack

The soundtrack in this series is fairly good, I can't say that I'd listen to it in my spare time, but it's pretty decent. And, well, I kind of liked the opening, but it got old after awhile. And...the ending themes....well, I never really paid any attention to them, except for that one episode where Akira was singing...




The Characters


This series has a relatively large cast, and quite a few members of said cast don't even appear until the second half of the series. A few of them were awesome, some were good, but most of them were average. They were either really generic or underdeveloped, or, well, not given that much screen time. It's an overall average cast.








Favorite Characters



Minoru Shiraishi

He made me laugh the most out of all of the characters on the show. Why? Well, to be honest, I don't really know why, they just made him seem so normal/dorky and his mistakes or just the things he did were funny. Especially that whole issue with the Lucky Channel, that was hilarious. Also, as a voice actor, he's awesome (dat Sakamoto).





Meito Anisawa


They should make a spin-off about all the shit that goes down at the Animate stores. Every time one of those scenes ensued, they were hilarious. They were so overly dramatic about every little thing, it was ridiculously funny.





Least Favorite Character


Miyuki Takara

For some reason, I was more likely to get bored when she appeared on screen. Don't ask me why, that just happened, a lot.










The Story

The story is pretty much Konata is an otaku, and she and her friends do stuff. That's it. It's a show about absolutely nothing, I think maybe one or two episodes with plot. That really isn't too appealing for me, in fact, it's a little unappealing. Even though this is a comedy series, I didn't really laugh at most of the bits with the main characters, but for some reason I found the OVA a lot funnier than the actual series.





Overall

I'm more fond of shows that have more plot in the end, so I guess it just wasn't really my kind of show. Still, it was entertaining to some degree.

Story - 4/10
Characters - 5/10
Music - 6/10
Voice Acting - 8/10
Visuals - 9/10

Overall - 6/10

I don't think I'll be able to understand why this show is as popular as it is, but if people like this series, more power to them, it just wasn't my type of show.

Another Thing I'm Marathoning at the Moment


Death Note

I've watched up to episode 25...I got a little depressed about what happened and took a break from the series, but I'll finish it this weekend, it seems like a waste to not finish a series this good.








My next review shall be of Death Note, and my Final Thoughts of the Winter 2013 Anime post is also coming up soon, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment