Sunday, April 28, 2013

Death Note Review

Death Note


This is a widely popular series that I've been looking forward to watching for quite a long time, and I have to say, it was quite an interesting experience watching this series. 

Synopsis


Yagami Light is a 17-year-old genius from Japan who is tired of his life, school, and the state of the world as he knows it. One day, on the way home from class, Light stumbles upon a dark notebook with "Death Note" written on the front. Intrigued by its appearance, Light reads the first few sentences, only to find out that it states that anyone whose name is written inside will die. Discarding it as a joke, Light continues his daily activities. Soon after though, his human curiosity takes the better of him and prompts Light to try the notebook, discovering the truth behind first sentence. Now, with power in his hands, Yagami Light is on a quest to change the world and become God of the New World. His path to holy status won't be easy however, as another genius, known as L, is working against Light's beliefs and Light himself. Who will win this power of Gods between humans? 


The Visuals


This series has some pretty good visuals overall. A somewhat realistic style, but occasionally, it does get a little bit derpy. However, that hardly ever happens. Anyway, these visuals help set the serious atmosphere with darker lighting and the occasional scary ass faces the characters make, especially Light. Great animation, with some issues at times.








The Soundtrack


My God, what an amazing soundtrack. It set the mood perfectly for every scene, and it just generally is good to listen to. I'm not a huge fan of the opening and ending themes, but the general soundtrack is so damn good, I don't really care about the rest.






The Characters


This series had a large cast of characters, a majority of them being really good. Hell, I even liked Misa, who a lot of people regarded as annoying. Well, there were certain characters I found far more irritating than her, but I'll get to them later. On the other hand, most of the characters were extremely engaging in their own individual ways, so it was hard to pick out my favorites besides the most obvious two. So, in the end, I picked only two as my favorite characters, but I can definitely tell you that there are several other characters who were very interesting as well, just not as interesting as the two.




Favorite Characters


L

An obvious choice, L is both extremely intelligent and hilarious at times. His character was my main reason for watching the series, it's no doubt that he is the best.  And I must say, he was an incomparable rival for Light.






Ryuk

Oh, sweet comic relief. Ryuk is ridiculous, I mean, really ridiculous. He's hilarious a vast majority of the time, however, there are also times where he can be really frightening. But, that's what I love about him.







Least Favorite Characters


Mello

He's an L wannabe who relies on the mafia. Seriously, I though he'd be more entertaining than he was. But, in the end, he just pissed me off because his methods were just horrid.







Near

Another L wannabe who acts like a child. Was he supposed to be cute? I do not find him cute. He was irritating, every time I saw him I just had this feeling of "no, no, and no." He doesn't work well, it was awkward seeing him confront Light, whereas with L it's so natural.







The Story


It's like watching a chess battle, except extremely thrilling with elements of surprise and lots of death (hence, the title). It's all a big mystery and our main character is all the cause of this. With L, this show was amazing, but when Near and Mello came about it went downhill. It was still good, but it just wasn't the same. Still, this show has a thrilling story with lots of clever tricks, engaging characters, and plot twists. As long as no one spoiled the entire show for you, you'll be surprised at the events in each episode.





Overall


Story - 9/10
Characters - 9/10
Music - 9/10
Voice Acting - 10/10
Visuals - 8/10

Overall - 9/10

I'd most definitely recommend this series to any anime fan. It's thrilling, has interesting characters (except Mello and Near), and just overall really good.



I've been neglecting to marathon any series lately, but I'll probably get back to doing that soon. I still have to finish Clannad After Story, Blood+, Rozen Maiden, and Air Gear, but it's likely that I might not get back to those, maybe Rozen Maiden because of the new series premiering in the summer, but I'm too sure. My next entry will be my spring 2013 anime first impressions. So do stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment