Sunday, March 10, 2013

Vampire Knight Review

Vampire Knight


This anime if often regarded as the anime version of Twilight by my guy friends who've seen it, as well as one girl, but most other girls I know that have seen this show loved it. What did I think? Well read on to find out.


Synopsis


Cross Academy is an elite boarding school with two separate, isolated classes: the Day Class and the Night Class. On the surface, Yuuki Cross and Zero Kiryuu are prefects of the academy, and attempt to keep order between the students as classes rotate in the evenings. As the night class is full of utterly gorgeous elites, this can sometimes prove to be a bit difficult. It is completely necessary, however, as those "elites" are actually vampires. Yuuki and Zero act as guardians, protecting the secrets of the Night Class and the safety of the ignorant day class.

As the adopted daughter of the academy's chairman, Yuuki takes her job with a serious and energetic attitude. It also allows her to interact with her secret crush and savior, the night class' dorm president, Kaname Kuran. Zero, on the other hand, has a deep-rooted hatred against vampires, and at times, does not hesitate to kill.

Can vampires and humans co-exist, even in the strict setup of the Cross Academy? Only time will tell.


The Visuals


Beautiful, to say the least. The visuals were probably the best part of the series. If I had any complaints, it would be that the necks on the male characters are a bit thick. Other than that, they are very much outstanding visuals.









The Soundtrack


The soundtrack for this series is relatively good, it probably would have been better if some of the tracks didn't remind me of Luigi's Mansion. I wasn't fond of both the opening themes and the second ending theme (the first was fine). 




The Characters


Most of the characters, if not all of them, in this series were incredibly generic/cliché, you got the asshole love interests (though one is significantly less of an asshole than the other), the bishounen, two bishoujo (one is of course in love with the main love interest), hell, even the characters I liked were incredibly generic. 








Favorite Character


Akatsuki Kain

He was probably the nicest character in this series that didn't seem completely insignificant. He's a good friend, and would be a great pairing with Ruka if she wasn't so damn infatuated with Kaname.








Least Favorite Character


Kaname Kuran

My god, this guy is an asshole. He seems to like giving people guilt trips (mainly Yuki and Zero) whenever they do something that he doesn't like. He's also arrogant, likes rubbing shit in Zero's face, and makes me want to punch him in the face. Also for other reasons that would spoil the story so I won't say them.






The Story


Very cliché, hottest guy favors main character, hottest guy just so happens to be a vampire. Childhood friend/fellow guardian/classmate/adoptive brother (?) also likes girl, hates vampires. This is pretty much the anime version of Twilight if you take out the werewolves and replace them with vampire hunters (+ add a crazy/disturbing/disgusting plot twist). The ending is shit, too.







Overall

This show is overrated, to say the least. I did like the plot twist because it was crazy, and unexpected, but a vast majority of the series was filled with mostly predictable events, and the characters are difficult to like. I'm not going to tell anyone not to watch this series, some people enjoy it, but I think it is way overrated.  

Story - 4/10
Characters - 4/10
Music - 6/10
Voice Acting - 7/10
Visuals - 9/10

Overall - 5/10



Another thing I'm Marathoning at the Moment


The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I finished watching the first season, and I'll be moving on to the 2009 sequel, which means I shall be encountering Endless Eight, do wish me luck here. I did really enjoy the first season, though.









My next review might be Haruhi, or, depending how long the next shoujo series I'm watching is, whatever shoujo series I'm marathoning next. Do stay tuned for my next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment