Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Review

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya


This is one of the most popularized anime I know of. I mean, when I was 12, and the only anime I watched was Naruto (ah, so young and naive), I still knew this anime was popular. Not to mention all of those Hare Hare Yukai videos on Youtube. Quite frankly, this anime is pretty much a household name for otakus and regular anime fans alike. So, of course, since this anime is so popular I obviously had to check it out. What did I think? Read on to find out!

Synopsis


Kyon, your typical high school student, has long given up his belief in the supernatural. However, upon meeting Haruhi Suzumiya, he quickly finds out that it is the supernatural that she is interested in; aliens, time travelers and espers among other things. When Haruhi laments about the lack of intriguing clubs around school, Kyon inspires Haruhi to form her own club. As a result, the SOS Brigade is formed, a club which specializes in all that is the supernatural.

Much to his chagrin, Kyon, along with the silent bookworm, Yuki Nagato, the shy and timid Mikuru Asahina, and the perpetually smiling Itsuki Koizumi, are recruited as members. The story follows the crazy adventures that these four endure under their whimsical leader, Haruhi. The story is based on the light novels by Nagaru Tanigawa.


The Visuals


Well, as expected from something animated by Kyoto Animation, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is animated beautifully. I can't say I recall any moments where the animation was lax, which is more than I could say for many other series. However, I can't say I'm extremely fond of giant eyes, but other than that, I'd say the animation for this series is perfect.







The Soundtrack

In the original series the soundtrack was fairly good, but nothing really stood out. In the movie, on the other hand, was a different story. It was definitely beautiful, without a doubt. I liked both opening themes for the series, and the ending theme for the 2009 series (the internet has too many Hare Hare Yukai videos, I was sick of it before I even started watching this show).

Playlist is only that of the movie soundtrack, the better of the soundtracks in my opnion



The Characters


This show has a variety of characters, from the moe blobs, to the ordinary, to the creepy, and of course, the batshit crazy. This cast has so many different types of characters that there has to be at least one you like, and one you dislike. Strangely enough, the character of this series that is widely regarded as "annoying" in this series didn't bother me one bit, but, certain characters creeped me out, or just generally gave me this feeling of "no.." every time they showed up on screen. Still, this is a pretty impressive cast of characters.





Favorite Characters



Yuki Nagato

With or without emotion she is by far, the most amazing character in this series. She can endure just about anything and not show any concern about it. She helps almost every time the group is in some sort of trouble that Haruhi causes. But, she's not perfect, she causes a big problem herself at some point, but she also helps fix the problem she creates. I absolutely adored her character.






Kyon


The commentary he has throughout the series always gave me a good laugh. He's the typical normal guy caught up in all of the crazy shit  that happens in the series. Strangely enough though, him being a smart-ass made him so much more interesting than the other "normal" protagonists I've seen in anime. 







Least Favorite Character

Ryouko Asakura *SPOILERS*

She seemed fishy in the beginning. She She's so obsessed with collecting data on Haruhi that she is willing to kill Kyon for the sake of seeing what her reaction is. Yuki, who's in charge of her, tells her not to, and she rebels thinking she has chosen the best course of action. So yeah, she's crazy.






The Story


This is a slice of life series combined with godliness and sci-fi elements. Definitely not something you see everyday, but there are certain series with similar elements in them. Still, this series had moments where it was funny, some where it was sad, and some that were just odd. Even with Endless Eight in the mix, this series is really good. 








Overall

All in all, this series is really good, and I sort of understand why so many people like it. However, it still didn't quite live up to the extremely high expectations set by how ridiculously popular it is. Still, it was really enjoyable, and I definitely recommend it.

Story - 8/10
Characters - 9/10
Music - 7/10
Voice Acting - 8/10
Visuals - 9/10

Overall - 8/10

 And by the way, I got through Endless Eight watching for the inconsistences in the repeats, maybe it'll be easier to go through if you do the same.

Other things I'm Marathoning at the Moment

Death Note

I've been wanting to watch this series for quite a while, and now that I've finally gotten around to it I'm really enjoying it. I already see why so many people like this series, it keeps me on the edge of my seat, and gets you to really think about what's going on. Is he doing the right thing? Is he doing something evil? I love it.






Lucky Star

It's a show about nothing! I question the origin of its popularity. I mean, I chuckle at some of the remarks made, but this series hasn't really gotten me to laugh really hard at anything, and I'm already half-way through it. I started watching it because I heard there would be a spin-off series about some background characters I have yet to see. Still, it's cute, but I can't see why it's so popular.





My next review is likely to be of Lucky Star, so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment