Monday, February 18, 2013

Ouran Highschool Host Club Review


Ouran Highschool Host Club 


So many roses....

This is one of the most popular shoujo anime series I know of, and I must say, this show definitely does deserve all of the hype it gets. A lot of people I know recommended me this anime, both male and female, so I was curious as to how a shoujo appeal to both gender audiences so much, and now I know. 

Synopsis


Fujioka Haruhi won a scholarship to attend Ouran Academy, a school reserved for the rich and prestigious. Despite what other students may think of her, Haruhi cares little for physical appearances or the fact that she is a commoner. Unfortunately for Haruhi, her high school days took a turn when she stumbled upon the Host Club, an elite club for the super rich and beautiful boys who use their specific traits and charms to entertain young ladies. Even worse was that Haruhi had accidentally broken an 8 million yen vase in the club. Unable to repay her debt with money, Haruhi found herself with no choice but to work for the Host Club, becoming a male host herself.


The Visuals



The visuals for this series were rather pleasing to the eyes. They were a bit on the unique side, but in a good way. It's simple, yet unique in a way I just can't put into words. I like the especially big eyes on the female and young characters, they're very charming and cute. I'm also fond of the way the backgrounds are drawn, they are very consistent in their beauty.








The Soundtrack


This series has a very light-hearted, yet extravagant-sounding soundtrack. Though I'm really not fond of the opening theme (skipped it every single episode), I am extremely fond of the ending theme. The soundtrack overall is really good, though.

Playlist includes character songs, opening theme, and soundtrack




The Characters


This show had a great cast of characters, they were all interesting, and portrayed stereotypes in a very blunt, hilarious manner, the main characters especially. The characters that appeared in only an episode or two were also very likable, even the characters I didn't like were likable in at least one sense. 








Favorite Characters

Haruhi Fujioka

Definitely one of the best shoujo protagonists I have ever seen, she's not obnoxious in any way, she's not upset when people mistake her gender, she's stoic (most of the time anyway), she's adorable, I could go on. Her character is extremely lovable.






Hikaru Hitachiin

Hikaru's character was very curious, and that's probably why I liked him so much. He's mischievous most of the time, but shows signs of jealously and attachment that aren't comical. I don't know, I guess I liked how his character added some drama and to be honest, I prefer him to be paired with Haruhi.





Kaoru Hitachiin

The supportive brother. I love how Kaoru and Hikaru have such a close bond, and he seems to be the more mature of the two. His voice is also notably softer, and he handles things a lot more calmly than Hikaru does. He also helps Hikaru without asking whenever he's in any trouble, and that is not only a good sibling, but also a good friend.







Least Favorite Characters


Eclair Tonnerre

Thank god she's an anime-original character. I couldn't stand her. She's just a bitch, no more words are needed, just bitch.







Benio Amakusa

She's just a hypocrite. I love how she critcizes the Host Club, but does the same stuff they do. Plus, she tries to push her ideals on Haruhi, who could care less.






The Story

A lone honor transfer student who resembles a male is forced to join a Host Club to repay a debt to them. Fangirls surround them, and eventually she has fangirls of her own. It's hilarious. Almost everything that occurs in this show is hilarious and I love it!









Overall

This is definitely a series that lives up to all of its hype. I'm so happy I took the time to watch this series, because I just got so many good laughs out of it, and the characters were great. 




Story - 9/10
Characters - 10/10
Music - 9/10
Voice Acting - 8/10
Visuals - 9/10

Overall - 9/10

If you haven't seen this series, then drop everything you're doing and watch it. Now.





No comments:

Post a Comment