Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kimi Ni Todoke Review


Kimi ni Todoke



This is one of the prettiest cover pictures I've ever seen
This is one of the more popular shoujo anime that I've heard of, and at first, the story did seem a bit stereotypical to me, but when I watched it, I pretty much fell in love with the show. Lovable characters, a cute story, and a unique, beautiful style of animation. Really, this series was so refreshing, it made me feel really happy when I watched it.

Note: I did see season 2 prior to the first portion of the anime a year or two ago, but I re-watched it so I could appreciate the series as a whole when I watched it.


Synopsis


Kuronuma Sawako is completely misunderstood by her classmates. Her timid and sweet demeanor is often mistaken for malicious behavior. This is due to her resemblance to the ghost girl from "The Ring", which has led her peers to give her the nickname Sadako. Longing to make friends and live a normal life, she is naturally drawn to Kazehaya Shouta, the most popular guy in class, whose "100% refreshing" personality earns him great admiration from Sawako. So when Kazehaya starts talking to her, maybe there is hope for the friendships Sawako has always longed for. Maybe...there is even a little hope for some romance in her future.


The Visuals


This show featured a very unique style of animation. The character designs, in particular, made this show's appearance extremely unique. I also loved the usage of bright colors, as well as all of those sakuras in the show (they were especially beautiful in this series).









The Soundtrack


The soundtrack was pretty good in this series, though I wasn't especially fond of the opening or ending themes, I did really like the soundtrack that played during the show. It set the mood absolutely perfectly.

Playlist includes character songs, the show's regular soundtrack, as well as both ending and opening themes 




The Characters


All of the significant characters in this series were likable in their own way, though I did have a few issues with some of the less significant characters. Still, this has to be one of the best casts of characters I've seen in an anime.









Favorite Characters
Ryuu Sanada

I absolutely adored Ryuu's character. He isn't a man of many words, but when he does speak, it's usually funny, sweet, or words of advice. He's also very honest, which I find very admirable. Also, his monotone was hilarious.







Sawako "Sadako" Kuronuma


She is, by far, the sweetest and most innocent anime character I have ever seen. Even though she's such a nice person, though, people avoid her because they think that she resembles Sadako from The Ring. But, in reality, she's the nicest and most naive person there could be. Though, due to her kindness and innocence, she ends up in a bunch of misunderstandings or is unable to do things out of consideration. In a way, she's too nice, but she's still very lovable.



Kazuichi "Pin" Arai

Even though he can be a little annoying at times, Pin is still, by far, the funniest character in this show. He's an arrogant idiot, who only gets involved with events or people when he can get something out of it. But, because of these parts of his personality, he ends up being absolutely hilarious. I wish I had a better way of telling you, but you just have to watch the show, and then you'll see what I'm talking about.






Least Favorite Characters



Souichi "Joe" Jounouchi

He's not a bright guy, in short terms, he's an idiot. He goes for a girl that is way out of his league and ends up ruining a bunch of romantic scenes including a confession scene, it's like the purpose of his entire character was to be annoying.





Yuka


Spreads ridiculous rumors (didn't create them), thinks bullying will solve her problems, all I like about her is the fact that her character was never really significant enough to even get a last name. And her entire purpose was to be a bitch in the first place.







The Story

The story of a sweet girl with an apparently scary appearance and her innocent love with a lively, active male student. She lacks confidence, but her love interest and her new friends help her build it up, and she becomes more well-liked and interacts better with fellow students over time. She still faces many problems though, and they made for good drama.








Overall

This was an incredibly sweet show, that is interpreted in a fashion that can be enjoyed by an audience of all ages. Though, I did have some issues with the very slow progression with the relationship between the two main characters, it was still enjoyable till the end.


Story - 8.5/10
Characters - 9.5/10
Music - 7/10
Voice Acting - 9/10
Visuals - 9/10

Overall - 9/10


If anyone were to ask, yes, I would recommend this series.

Another thing I'm Marathoning at the Moment


Hayate no Gotoku!!

I'm almost finished with the entire Hayate series, all I have left is six episodes from season 2 and the Heaven Is a Place on Earth movie (which I have heard mixed opinions about), I'm loving the series so far, but I don't have any high expectations for the movie...







The next shoujo series (I'll be marathoning shoujo series for a while in case you haven't already figured that out) I'll be watching is Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge ( or Perfect Girl Evolution in English), so you can look forward to a review of that later on and a review of the Hayate series soon. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment