Sunday, January 20, 2013

Itazura na Kiss Review


Itazura na Kiss



Never have I seen a romance anime where I've hated the love interest so much, AND the protagonist is just plain sad and desperate to win his affection... 


Synopsis


Ever since she entered high school, Kotoko Aihara wanted to be in the same class as Naoki Irie. The only problem is that Irie is the smartest student in school contrast to Kotoko being one of the dumbest. Now in her 3rd year of high school, she still isn't there. However, one day her home gets destroyed and the only place left to go to was Irie's home. Now that she lives close to him, will their relationship be the same, or will it become greater than it is?


The Visuals


The visuals for this series are average, they have moments where they look good, and they have some moments where things just look plain odd. I also don't find the way the noses are extremely up-turned for a vast majority of the character designs very attractive. I mean, I don't have any problems looking at it, but, it wasn't necessarily appealing in any way either.







The Soundtrack


It was above average, though, most of the songs in the soundtrack weren't very memorable. I had a soft spot for the opening theme, as well as the first ending theme. The other ending theme wasn't bad, it was decent, but not really something I would necessarily want to stop and listen to each episode.





The Characters

This cast of characters was rather mediocre. Everyone (aside from two characters) is pretty much an asshole in this show. I had characters I didn't like, and I had the few I liked, and I didn't necessarily care for everyone else. Some characters I wanted to see more of hardly showed up, and some characters that played somewhat of a role in the series seem to disappear. 

Favorite Characters

Kinnosuke Nakamura

He's no bishounen, but he's probably the nicest character in the series (aside from the Mary-Sue and the main character) and he devoted five years to the protagonist, despite being shot down and friend-zoned time after time after time after time. He didn't give up until the end, when things looked completely and totally hopeless. But still, he was a good friend to the main character, even though he could be embarrassing or an ass at times.





Least Favorite Characters

Kotoko Aihara

This girl is a fangirl to the core. I have never seen a shoujo protagonist this irritating in my history of watching shoujo anime and reading shoujo manga (and that is a big statement since I read a crazy amount of shoujo manga). What makes me dislike her so much is how she lets the guy treat her like garbage and she gets over-excited whenever he shows her just the slightest sign of humanity. There was a point in the series where she wonders if she is masochist and in my mind, I thought "yes, yes you are." Not to mention there is very little she's good at (I.E. she's stupid, she can't cook, she's a klutz, she has terrible luck, etc.) apart from being able to encourage people and above average looks.  


Naoki Irie

He's an ass. There are many, many, many characters in this series that are assholes, but this guy takes the cake. He's cold as hell, he's arrogant, he's indecisive, but hey, he's also drop dead gorgeous (looks comparable with that of a model), and extremely intelligent (#1 in Tokyo, bitches!), and of course deep, deep, deep, deep, deep down in the darkest depths of his soul lies some kind part of him, so he's totally worth all of the time and effort it takes to win his affection. He's not as bad at the end of the series, but he's still an ass.




The Story


It is a tale about a fangirl rejected by the guy she loves and conveniently being put into a situation where they live together. At first, the guy treats her as well as a lump of crap, but she slowly and steadily reaches the ranks of recyclable waste, and at then beyond that. You see her being knocked down again and again and again and again and again, but she never gives up on her love. She tries, but she doesn't succeed at it. It was pretty funny, but there were also very frequent time skips, which made the story feel quite rushed.





Overall

This series had a bunch of assholes for characters, but the plot was rather unique. It was also entertaining to some degree, though I talked negatively about it for a vast majority of this review. I really loved to hate on the main characters especially.


Story - 6/10
Characters - 5/10
Music - 6/10
Voice Acting - 7/10
Visuals - 5/10

Overall - 6/10


If asked whether I would recommend this or not, I guess I would, because, really, it was pretty interesting to watch. Though, it is extremely unrealistic.

Another thing I'm Marathoning at the Moment


Hayate no Gotoku!!

I've finally finished the first season, as well as the swimsuit OVA episode. I'm happy I finally started season 2, because I find the animation in season 2 superior to the first series and, of course, Can't Take My Eyes Off You. Also, season 2 is supposed to follow the manga more, unlike the first series which pretty much started doing its own thing about halfway through.




Well, that's all for this review. I may write a review for one of the anime I watched a couple of weeks ago soon, but most likely my next review will be for either Hayate or whatever shoujo anime I'll marathon next. Either way, please tune in next time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment