Sunday, December 30, 2012

Final Thoughts on the Fall 2012 Anime


Fall 2012 was, by far, the best anime season of the year, and one of the best seasons I've seen in years. This season spawned many great anime, with great characters, great soundtracks, everything was great. If something was sub-par, it was dropped, because I didn't want to soil the joy of the whole season. As I did with last season and the season before, I will be presenting my opinions on both the shows that have ended, and those that are still ongoing.


Ongoing Anime:


Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de

Much to my surprise, this is not a weekly series. An episode airs every three months, which basically means I'm still only two episodes in to this anime. From what I've seen so far, it's kind of sort of retarded, but in a way, it's addicting. I could care less for the main characters and the ecchi, what I'm watching it for is the Nintendo characters and the video game references (which I often don't get).




Bakuman 3

As always, Bakuman is consistent in its excellent slice of life, good romance, amazing characters, and good comedy. The antagonist was actually a little less prominent than I thought he would be, but, Bakuman still remains as a great shounen slice of life story.





JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)

I have to admit, I really didn't like this series at first, but, I have to say that it's growing on me. Especially with the beginning of part 2, with Joseph Joestar as the protagonist, the show has become a lot more fun to watch.






Little Busters!

I'm liking this one, it's a bit sad, but, this is sort of a breath of fresh air. I've long been looking for a series where a group of friends hang out together and do a bunch of random things for the lulz. However, there's something that seems somewhat mysterious about this show, and it won't stop irking me.





Magi

I don't think I have to explain my love for Magi for the millionth time. It's one of my favorite manga and anime series of all time because of its awesome characters, story, and setting. I love the adventure, and I love the character development, I love pretty much everything about Magi, except for the yaoi fangirls, but I don't mind them that much. 







Psycho-Pass

I like the concept, and most of the characters, apart from Akane (I'm kind of pissed about something she did in one of the recent episodes), and the animation is fantastic. Though there are some episodes with mostly dialogue and no action, the episodes where the mystery is completely solved are the best ones, since they also include action scenes and sometimes chase scenes. It's definitely a great series, and if you haven't watched it, I'd suggest you do. 




Robotics;Notes

I like this show, but there's something about it that kind of bothers me. Not many shows have me watching actually worrying about what was gonna happen in their world. I have no idea why I have that issue with this show, but it's still good. I have no idea why I'm so concerned about it though.






Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

This one was surprisingly good. I love me some romantic comedies, and this one was another perfect one for satisfying my romantic comedy needs. I love how the story centers around a normal guy living in a dorm surrounded by crazy geniuses, and I love all of the characters, apart from the teacher who seems to disappear for several episodes on end for some reason. Would I recommend it? Most definitely, it's an adorable show.




Shinsekai yori

This show is creepy, weird, and I like it a lot. A bunch of people dropped this show because it was too weird for them, or they didn't like the twists. The twists are what makes this show, and if you're easy to weird out, this isn't the show for you. 






Uchuu Kyoudai

So, the moment we were all waiting for in this show arrived. Knowing that it's going to continue on, I'm kind of wondering "what's next?" We've come to a point where I'm wondering what they're going to present to us, the audience next. I'm kind of excited to see what's next, and I'm  hoping it'll hasten up the pace a bit, because this show's pacing is pretty slow.





Zetsuen no Tempest

I'm in that group of people that actually really likes this show, and lately it's been getting better,though there are some dumb jokes thrown every now and again, but they're nothing to mind that much. Maybe I'm easily impressed by pretty visuals, but I still think that this is most definitely an excellent series.








Completed Anime:


Btooom!

This was an interesting one. You take a bunch of "unwanted" people, stick them on an island, give them bombs, and make them kill each other to get off said island. I like these whole "survival game" series because they're thrilling, Btooom! was no exception. This is one of the series that I would most definitely recommend, especially if you're a fan of action and thrillers.




Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

I really wasn't expecting to like this show as much as I did, but damn, it was awesome. A group that consists of delusional kids, formerly delusional kids, some chick that sleeps a lot, and a later, dude who has little to no luck with women. The comedy in this series is top-notch, the romance is adorable, and the characters are all very much lovable, especially Rikka. I would definitely recommend this.




Code:Breaker

This isn't very good. It's decent, but it's not good. The main female is pretty much preaching the exact same words every single episode, and that's pretty annoying. I do like some of the other characters, but none of them are particularly eye catching, and none of them have me really attached to them. They're all just kind of there. Also, a lot of the twists in this series leave me wondering "why?" I haven't seen the final episode yet, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen.



Eureka Seven AO

Well, it's over. I didn't really like it so much as a sequel to Eureka Seven, which in my opinion was magnificent, because it takes that nice ending Eureka Seven gave you, and just rips it to shreds. As an individual series, it was alright, but it wasn't anything special.





Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You

I've only seen five episodes of the original Hayate series, and I can tell you that it was a hell of a lot better than this. Not to mention, this entire series was basically filler, this had nothing to do with the actual story, so in the end this series served as nothing more than a time waster, and it was mediocre, so it's really not worth the time it takes to watch it.




Jormungand: Perfect Order

This is a perfect show for anyone who likes gun fights and lots of dialogue. I love me some gun fights every now and then, but sometimes the dialogue got boring. Though, this was still a pretty good show, and I think it ended the series well.







K

There were a lot of mixed opinions about this show. Me, personally, I liked it. I love the visuals, the fights were awesome, the story was confusing at first, but it's good. A lot of the characters could have used more development, though. The ending kind of left me a bit sad, but with the news of the second season coming out later on, I'm wondering what could happen next.




Kamisama Hajimemashita

This was not a good adaptation. They basically cut out a bunch of parts from the manga, and they were, of course, the parts that made me like the manga so much. They basically cut out everything dark in the story to make this a happy shoujo romance series. I didn't like it that much, if I had gone into this series without having read the manga, I probably would have liked it. But they just cut out way too much. 




Sukitte Ii na yo.

I never could get into the manga that this series is adapted from, but surprisingly, I liked this adaptation a lot. Yeah it's pretty much your average shoujo romance, but it's done well, and the protagonist is pretty likable. It was really enjoyable, and the drama was good, but you could pretty much predict the outcome of just about every conflict. Still, it was a really enjoyable romance series, and it is definitely worth a watch.



Sword Art Online

It seemed as I was watching this series, I took it less and less seriously. I don't care what anyone says, a series with a blatant tentacle rape scene is definitely not a masterpiece. This show is actually pretty cliché, plus the protagonist is a Gary-Stu, who seems to get just about every girl he meets to fall in love with him, (aside from one) including his own sister (who, of course, isn't actually his sister!). At first, I really liked this series, and I still kind of do, but it is most definitely not a masterpiece! 


Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

This, for me, was the best romance series of the year. It's an adaptation of one of my favorite shoujo manga, and the reason why I like it so much is that it takes a bit of a different spin on things. For those who watched this series and liked it, check out the manga, because there is much, much more to the story. As for those who haven't seen it, watch it. It's awesome. Also, it strays from the unsaid tradition of shoujo anime, terrible opening themes. This opening theme was nice, I listened to it each episode.




So those are my thoughts on the anime from the fall season. I'm pretty excited to see what's in store next season, but I'll definitely miss a lot of the shows from this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment