Saturday, September 29, 2012

Magi Anime Cast Announced

I wanted to say this before very many others have the opportunity to. Apparently, Magi's cast was announced earlier today (even though I heard that it would be announced tomorrow) on their twitter page, but the announcement was taken down due to the "chaos" it caused. I found out due to someone's post on a forum on myanimelist, but I'm not too sure if this was really posted on the twitter page or someone just made it up (and if they did it's a pretty damn good fake)

Is this real or fake? You decide.

Well here's the translation of who's in the cast:


Kaori Ishihara as Aladdin                        Nobuhiko Okamoto as Cassim

Takuma Terashima as Alibaba                 Aya Endo as Hakuei Ren

Aya Hirano as Morgiana                          Tetsuya Kakihara as Hakuryuu Ren

Katsuyuki Konishi as Sinbad                    Kana Hanazawa as Kougyoku Ren

Takahiro Sakurai as Ja’far                        Kishou Taniyama as Ugo

Hino Satoshi as Masrur                            Shibata Hidekatsu as Amon

Hiroshi Kamiya as Judal


My opinions on the individual voices:



Kaori Ishihara as Aladdin

I was extremely surprised at the choice of actress. I was expecting Rie Kugimiya, who's a lot more experienced, but instead we got Kaori Ishihara, a relatively new actress who's been in the industry for two or three years but hasn't gotten many main roles. This will be her 5th role as a main character of a series, and her first role as a male character. I won't judge her performance until I actually see it, it wouldn't be fair if I did otherwise.        



Takuma Terashima as Alibaba     

I really had no clue as to who they would pick for Alibaba, but this choice is....well I don't know to be honest. I've seen him in five different roles, and he did a pretty good job for them all. I'm sure he'll do well as Alibaba, so long as he doesn't deepen his voice too much.






Aya Hirano as Morgiana

Now, this was a very good choice. To be honest, when I thought of Morgiana's voice I thought of  Ai Kayano, but since she has roles in three other shows for the fall, it was kind of obvious she wouldn't be doing it. Aya Hirano, however, matches Morgiana very well as a voice. I haven't heard her in very many roles (I haven't watched a lot of very popular series), but the few I did left me with a very good impression. I'm positive she will do a very good job as Morgiana.


Katsuyuki Konishi as Sinbad

This was a perfect choice. Absolutely, no doubt about it, perfect choice. Katsuyuki Konishi's voice matches Sinbads persona so perfectly, I couldn't possibly think of a better actor for him. Enough said.








Takahiro Sakurai as Ja’far

I didn't really have any particular type of voice in mind for Ja’far, really. I'm not very sure about the choice of actor, but then again, I didn't even know what kind of voice matched Ja’far's persona, I really didn't. So, I have no particular complaints or praises about this choice, that'll be left until I see the actual performance.





Hino Satoshi as Masrur    

This is kind of a "what the hell" choice. I really wasn't expecting him to be the voice of Masrur, not in the least. He can pull it off, as long as he deepens his voice, because, well, just look at Masrur. Does he look like the average teenage boy voice will suit him? No, no he doesn't.






Hiroshi Kamiya as Judal 

Yeah...I was kind of expecting Hiroshi Kamiya to voice Judal. I mean, who else would you have in mind? Judal is pretty much the Izaya Orihara of Magi, and who better to voice him than the very actor that voiced Izaya Orihara? Perfect choice, very predictable, but a perfect choice.






 Nobuhiko Okamoto as Cassim

Honestly, just like with Ja’far, I didn't really have an idea as to what kind of voice Cassim would have but...Nobuhiko Okamoto definitely suits him. He's a very good choice for Cassim's voice, I mean, it just works, I don't know what it is, but it just works.







Aya Endo as Hakuei Ren

I was originally thinking Minako Kotobuki as Hakuei's voice but, I have to admit Aya Endo is much better suited for the role. Aya Endo has a voice that is a combination of regal-sounding and big-sister like, and Hakuei's a princess and an older sister, so this was a pretty good choice.






Tetsuya Kakihara as Hakuryuu Ren

I was actually expecting Hakuryuu to be voiced by a woman, I mean, he does look like a boyish voice would suit him, right? Well, I don't really know what to think about Tetsuya Kakihara being Hakuryuu's voice, who knows, he might do a really good job. He did voice Simon in Gurren Lagann, so he could pull of a young boy's voice if that's what they're going for, and if it's not, well, he'll still probably do a good job. Funny thing is he looks a little like Aya Endo, who's playing his sister.


Kana Hanazawa as Kougyoku Ren

Yeah, I was kind of expecting Kana Hanazawa to voice Kougyoku, because Kougyoku is a bit of a moe character and Kana Hanazawa has a very moe voice...? Well, her voice suits Kougyoku very well, so I'm very pleased with this choice.







Kishou Taniyama as Ugo

He's a pretty good choice for Ugo. I wonder if Kishou Taniyama could do a heartwarming tone, because in the few scenes Ugo spoke I imagined he spoke in a gentle, yet charismatic tone. I'm curious to see if Kishou Taniyama can pull that off.







Shibata Hidekatsu as Amon

Now this guy is one hell of a veteran voice actor. I mean he's been in stuff that aired forty years ago, now that is something. I'm sure he'll do fine, he's been in the business for decades.









So, those are my thoughts on the cast, if I had to rate the cast I'd give them an 8/10, good but definitely not what I was expecting. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out for the anime. I do kind of wonder what the huge controversy was, I mean it's a pretty good cast, maybe the fanboys and fangirls went mad over choices they didn't like, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment